Manchester Ritz, 6th December 2011

General discussion of all things Evan-y

Moderators: mallocup, Smudge, lutewhine

Kerouac

Re: Manchester Ritz, 6th December 2011

Post by Kerouac » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:18 pm

I wonder if Evan really likesto tour? Its clear he he loves to write and sing play his guitar--but I wonder if he likes touring & performing on demand & in the spot light or if its a neccessary evil?
I can't speak for Evan obviously, but it is my opinion that he simply loves to play music. That's the way I read what I see in him. I saw some videos from some of the earlier U.S. shows on this tour where he was having a blast - TOTALLY IMMERSED. That easy smile breaks across his face and you can tell he is nowhere else emotionally or mentally besides working that fretboard and singing his song, on the spot. He is a very in-the-moment dude. It's plain to see.
I can appreciate the desire for interaction w/ Evan, so I feel for those who weren't completely satisfied w/ their concert experience. I mean we want that intimacy with anyone - we want to be close to what inspires us and to feel a rapport w/ those we admire. But obviously some nights he's going to be "on," as in totally plugged in, and some nights he's going to be on autopilot. It's just the way it goes. And some of the most electrifying shows are going to be performed when Evan is working that fretboard and singing his song, on the spot. Crowd rapport might take a back-seat to his artistic expression or on a bad night, crowd rapport might take a back-seat to his desire to simply play the show.
I dig Evan for who he is. I can't judge him and don't want to. I won't create excuses for anything he does, but won't knock him either. He makes music. The music makes me smile. I guess that might seem a very base emotionally call and response. But it is what it is. Evan's music is pleasurable.

suzy
Contributor 2007
Contributor 2007

Post by suzy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:03 pm

Kerouac seems to appreciate and accept Evan as a human being who is not perfect.Sometimes people are expected to have it all.Artists are often moody and without that part wouldn't have the rest.Kind of a catch 22.If you want a Justin Bieber type,you will get consistency. By the way,Evan would rather tour than practically anything.He loves it,but I guess sometimes it doesn't seem so.
fan

Yo la Pedro

Post by Yo la Pedro » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:01 pm

suzy wrote:Kerouac seems to appreciate and accept Evan as a human being who is not perfect.Sometimes people are expected to have it all.Artists are often moody and without that part wouldn't have the rest.Kind of a catch 22.If you want a Justin Bieber type,you will get consistency. By the way,Evan would rather tour than practically anything.He loves it,but I guess sometimes it doesn't seem so.
Come on Suzy now, that's being a little over sensitive and slightly condescending to others who haven't shared your view point and have just had the moral fibre to question something they think is fundamentally flawed :confused:

I've not seen any post on here that suggests that folk don't appreciate him and accept him as a human being, far from it. In my view, there was just the slight notion that he was perceived as being a little arrogant / ignorant on occasions to his paying public. Which if some folk accept that kinda thing, then fair play to you, it's a free world (apparently) HOWEVER some people will get the hump paying for that kinda treatment so please accept that.
I understand and appreciate that Mr Dando perhaps doesn't want to be a 'performing monkey boy' all the time but surely some basic manners isn't too much to ask for is it.......................please ??!

Apologies but you can dress it up however way you like, 'its this...it's that...!'
I don't buy any of that I'm afraid, there's no excuses for such behavior.
No offence intended ;)

Yo la Pedro

Post by Yo la Pedro » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:07 pm

jmhallam wrote:I wonder if Evan really likesto tour? Its clear he he loves to write and sing play his guitar--but I wonder if he likes touring & performing on demand & in the spot light or if its a neccessary evil?
Perhaps he has no choice jmhallam, he might be quite skint at the moment. (Ian Brown anybody?)
So in that case I guess it is a 'necessary evil' :evil:

range_life

Post by range_life » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:22 pm

"fundamentally flawed" - are you kidding??

it's like punk rock never happened around here...

i'll get me coat

pneurotic
Jello Funder 2012
Jello Funder 2012

Post by pneurotic » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:48 pm

range_life wrote:"fundamentally flawed" - are you kidding??

i'll get me coat

What he said :nod:

jmhallam
Contributor 2009
Contributor 2009

Post by jmhallam » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:54 am

I am glad he loves to tour, Suzy. That makes me happy, I just wondered if it was something he liked --the actual touring, I mean.

I ,for one, will take him anyway I can get him, happy or sad, chatty or not so much. I will see him every time I can as long as he is still out there doing his thing. He doesn't have to be perfect, he's EVAN. :lovedup:

Irrelevant Elephant

Post by Irrelevant Elephant » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:03 am

Some pretty valid points by all on this thread in my opinion. I think with Ev you just have to take the good with the bad. When he is good it is worth the wait.

mboy007

Post by mboy007 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:49 am

Well, I'm hoping for a good show tomorrow night in Birmingham... The last time he played there Evan spent the whole night staring at the ceiling, but that didn't detract from the music! Having seen him a few times now I must admit I couldn't care less anymore if he talks in between songs or not... we're not mates or anything, never will be - I don't need to hear him chatting away to feel like I've got my money's worth, just need him to deliver a decent length set, played well. And if he's not looking like he's into it? Well, that's ok too - we all go to work on days when we really don't feel like it, but at least we go.
No shape, no style, no soul, no substance... no problem

Yo la Pedro

Post by Yo la Pedro » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:05 am

pneurotic wrote:
range_life wrote:"fundamentally flawed" - are you kidding??

i'll get me coat

What he said :nod:
I'm not sure if my point was missed here :confused:

If 'punk rock' is being an arse to your audience then I must be missing that page from the punk rock rulebook then !
I don't mind people looking down their nose to me, just don't expect me to look up to them either.

As I've said several times on this thread, my point is not to have a dig, far from it. :D

This was the very first time I've ever seen Evan live and was intrigued to know if this is a common way for him to behave. From the odd reports I've read about this tour, his demeanour & lack of enthusiasm has been questioned.

Rich

Post by Rich » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:02 pm

This was the very first time I've ever seen Evan live and was intrigued to know if this is a common way for him to behave.
The way he was in Manchester was entirely normal.
Taking hands across 1,000 miles of ocean.

Kerouac

Post by Kerouac » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:39 pm

[url]http://www.egigs.co.uk/index.php?a=14011[/url]

The Lemonheads / Meredith Sheldon / The Shining Twins
HMV Ritz Ballroom, Manchester on Tuesday 6 December 2011

Unfortunately the stupid 50 mph limit which seems to stretch on longer every time I use the M62 means that I miss The Shining Twins, but a friend tells me they look like Biffy Clyro but sound like Death Cab For Cutie.

Interesting mix, somebody obviously went to see the Foo Fighters at Milton Keynes this year as they were both supporting.... I nearly miss main support Meredith Sheldon too, but catch a couple of beautiful solo songs with her strong deep vocals and electric guitar playing. Formally of The Ben Taylor Band, and Family of the Year, this young lass who has been playing over a decade will go far with her indie folk rock.

It's a very laid back gig, as Evan Dando gets on stage and does his own sound check. A few older ladies on the barrier are screaming at the former teen heartthrob like they are 15 year old Bieber fans at a show for the pop 'nugget'. Hair in his face, grungy clothes on, the guy dresses as he did back in 1992. Though aged slightly, we are talking aged like a fine whiskey, still tasty! Make way old lasses I'm joining ya down the front!

Testing the sound check Dando plays a solo version of 'Being Around' just to warm the crowd up. Then it's onto 'Rockin’ Stroll', the first track of the album they are playing in its entirety tonight, 'It's A Shame About Ray'. The title track urges a huge sing a long from the extremely varied crowd. There are young student types here, and quite old and dare I say "hard looking" blokes here creating a little pop mosh pit, which keeps me amused throughout the show. Wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alleyway, but stick a bit of Lemonheads on and he'll be your best friend! Talk about Frank Mills!

There is very little chatter between the songs and they are thrown at the crowd with great speed but sounding as well as they did in 1992. Dando is the only original Lemonhead left, but he is joined here by Brian Nolan (American Hi-Fi) on drums and Josh Lattanzi (The Candles) on bass, who do an excellent job of adding a rockier sound to these songs. Obviously ex-bassist Juliana Hatfield's sweet vocals are missing, and Lattanzi tries his best to fill in for them, as does the crowd on songs like 'My Drug Buddy'. 'Rudderless' and 'Alison's Starting To Happen' are stand outs from this album and come across excellent with this harder sound. 'Frank Mills', from the musical ‘Hair’ is sang by a solo Dando but he is backed by almost everyone in the room who can remember the words... "And on the back, were written the names... Mary, and Mum, and Hell's Angels!"

'Mrs Robinson' is gratefully not played tonight, as it wasn't on the original album release but was forced on by the record company when it was re-pressed. Wondering what would happen when all 38 minutes of 'It's A Shame...' had finished, Dando stays on stage to play more hits, both solo and with the band. Classics from 'Come On Feel The Lemonheads' and 'Car Button Cloth' go down a storm, plus 'No Backbone' from the later self-titled album.

To accompany the songs there are to screen above the band showing what looks like footage from their travels on tour, mainly a camera planted in the van windscreen capturing dark, wet roads (must be in the UK!). The best part is where there are multiple tries on a toy grabber machine, and just at the end of the current song a stuffed monkey is won!

For the encore Dando appears and brings Sheldon back to perform a duet of 'New Mexico' from the cover album 'Varshons', originally by FuckEmos. Both looking on a sheet for the words or chords and with a varying microphone level from Sheldon it's a bit of a ramshackle attempt but lovely to hear at the same time, their voices complement each other so well.

This is followed by a cover by all the band of 'Divan' by Australian 90's rock band Smudge, who's frontman Tom Morgan wrote and co-wrote a lot of the Lemonheads songs. What a thank you!

And there are more songs to come, like Dando solo again for 'Favourite T' and 'Ride with Me' from older Lemonheads album 'Lovey' (as the previous 'Stove' was). Funny enough but not surprisingly there is nothing from his solo album despite all these solo performances... nice to keep it all Lemonheads though.

And just when you think these songs are winding the set down, Lattanzi and Nolan return to rock it up again with 'The Great Big No', 'Style' (the faster version not the slower Rick James' 'Style') and ending with 'Into Your Arms'. What a set! Yes It does feel like the time has flown by with the no nonsense delivery, but for over an hour and a half we were all transported back to 1992, and loved every minute of it.

Set list:
Being Around
Rockin' Stroll
Confetti
It's a Shame About Ray
Rudderless
My Drug Buddy
The Turnpike Down
Bit Part
Alison's Starting To Happen
Hannah and Gabi
Ceiling Fan In My Spoon
Kitchen
Frank Mills
The Outdoor Type
Frying Pan
It's About Time
All My Life
Down About It
Hospital
No Backbone
Tenderfoot
Stove
If I Could Talk I'd Tell You

New Mexico
Divan
Favorite T
Ride With Me
The Great Big No
Style
Into Your Arms

retlivdead

Post by retlivdead » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:44 pm

I remember Evan being really chatty at the Oxford Street HMV gig (the one where it was meant to be a couple of songs and a signing session but he ended up just playing for over an hour!)

And he was on good spirits on the Baby I'm Bored tour. Is that irony?!
"All my life..."

gwood

Post by gwood » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:35 pm

Evan can't win. If he chats up the audience, someone (who doesn't have much of a grip on compound sentences or esoteric cultural references) will always say he was babbling incoherently. If he shuts up, he's rude, or unappreciative. Sheese. You know what he's not? An egomaniac with a bunch of stock stage phrases. I hate that shit, when I see some musician break into a rehearsed oratory about how special they are or what the big backstory of some pop song is, or gush with oh-so-sincere appreciation, I just want to say, Oh, shut the fuck up.

I guess I'm being an apologist. I really don't care if he runs off after the last song. He just wants to have a cigarette, probably. You know, it can get pretty freaky being on a stage, with everybody judging you. Not to mention that you usually can't see past the edge. Evan seems to me like a person who doesn't have much of a shielded ego.

Hey, I saw Nick Cave in NY a while ago, and he didn't say boo to the audience. And I didn't even realize it until just now. Because Cave is God, y'know?
Music by me--
https://oneoffrekerdz.bandcamp.com

Ambidextrina
Jello Funder 2009-2012

Post by Ambidextrina » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Ray, without Mrs. Robinson, takes 29 minutes and 27 seconds or so, not 38 minutes.

At what really annoys me is to read that the bass player is Josh Lattanzi. It's Drew Parsons from American HIFI!! Josh would not rock that hard i guess :guitar:

jmhallam
Contributor 2009
Contributor 2009

Post by jmhallam » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:38 pm

At what really annoys me is to read that the bass player is Josh Lattanzi. It's Drew Parsons from American HIFI!! Josh would not rock that hard i guess

That seems to be a common misconception on this tour-also indicated by the topless blogger link in the other post. She made me laugh though and has a cool Iggy Pop story.

Yo la Pedro

Post by Yo la Pedro » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:13 am

Sorry but that last Manc review was weak as p *ss and a little blinkered imho.
Large pinches of salt required.
Here's how I saw it using that review as a guideline, nestle in good people....

I use the M62 means that I miss The Shining Twins, but a friend tells me they look like Biffy Clyro but sound like Death Cab For Cutie.

I was under the impression that this was a band called Neverlands or something ?
Chuff me if this is the case then I'd be already dubious of the accuracy of the review I'm afraid :confused:

I nearly miss main support Meredith Sheldon too, but catch a couple of beautiful solo songs with her strong deep vocals and electric guitar playing. Formally of The Ben Taylor Band, and Family of the Year, this young lass who has been playing over a decade will go far with her indie folk rock.

Steady on there Simon Carrol.
Regardless she scored well for the tiny shorts though.
That’s brave for the usual windy/rainy December night in Mancunia! :nod:

A few older ladies on the barrier are screaming at the former teen heartthrob like they are 15 year old Bieber fans at a show for the pop 'nugget'.

These were promptly blanked................although I don't blame him in fairness :rolleyes:

Hair in his face, grungy clothes on, the guy dresses as he did back in 1992.

Evan, the missus said she'll wash that 1992 look out of your hair as well sometime if you like ? ;)

There are young student types here, and quite old and dare I say "hard looking" blokes here creating a little pop mosh pit, which keeps me amused throughout the show. Wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alleyway, but stick a bit of Lemonheads on and he'll be your best friend! Talk about Frank Mills!

Me and the other half were right by Evan’s mic at the front. She was the gorgeous one, I was the fella in the navy Lyle & Scott jacket.
And no we aren't student types, we’re ‘30 somethings’ if we have to be labelled - OK do we fall into that ‘quite old’ section then if that's how you're playing it ?! ;)
I was a bit confused by the 'hard looking blokes' bit creating the only ‘little pop mosh’ pit.
The only bit of moshing I spied round us was perhaps related to the bopping bald fella (and his dread locked bird) playing air guitar and a bloke with side parted black hair, who tossed a pen and paper - mid set - on stage right by Evan's feet……..which was promptly spied & blanked all night like it was a landmine…….along with a similar placed rose or something……(blanked again)
Poor geezer had taken the time pre-gig to sellotape that pen to the paper as well. Never mind he got his (unsigned) paper and pen chucked back to him via a roadie, bless him ;)
Bald fella was double gutted as well I heard, he said he broke the strings on his air guitar apparently.
Joking aside they seemed alright, was merely just enjoying themselves after few sherberts in all fairness :D

There is very little chatter between the songs
No s *it Sherlock !

'Mrs Robinson' is gratefully not played tonight, as it wasn't on the original album release but was forced on by the record company when it was re-pressed.

Token cut & paste comment I've seen several times about this tour on reviews. They didn't play it, therefore who gives a shiny s h*ite even mentioning or justifying it's exclusion ??!

To accompany the songs there are to screen above the band showing what looks like footage from their travels on tour, mainly a camera planted in the van windscreen capturing dark, wet roads (must be in the UK!). The best part is where there are multiple tries on a toy grabber machine, and just at the end of the current song a stuffed monkey is won!

I think the Ritz had a 10 bob budget in respect of the the two tier, postage size screens they had hung up.
All the while, does anyone genuinely go to a concert to watch (on screen) a roadie play a slot machine at Birch motorway services on the M62 and then feel the need to comment it's the 'best part' ??

For the encore Dando appears and brings Sheldon back to perform a duet of 'New Mexico' from the cover album 'Varshons', originally by FuckEmos. Both looking on a sheet for the words or chords and with a varying microphone level from Sheldon it's a bit of a ramshackle attempt but lovely to hear at the same time, their voices complement each other so well.

This was a rare time that Evan did look actually quite giddy that night, maybe perhaps it was something that was a break from the normal set list, hence the enthusiasm perhaps ?
In all fairness the microphone was rubbish for the girl, couldn’t hear the first verse at all…...Unfortunately Evan’s smile and perseverance appeared to have run it's course by the time the technical hitch was sorted for the second verse.

And just when you think these songs are winding the set down, Lattanzi and Nolan return to rock it up again with 'The Great Big No', 'Style' and ending with 'Into Your Arms'.

Cue on finish - Quick trot off stage with last chord pretty much still chiming, clutched guitar in hand – Barrel apparently scraped (as some would argue) another date scratched off a long list until the next one, job done - Take the money and run my son.

Sorry folks, that's how I saw it that night – Great music just performed on auto-pilot – 'Evan Helpus - The George Best of Power Pop' :cool:

MAXIERILEY

Post by MAXIERILEY » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:44 am

Pedro your aggravating. Go away

Metalheart

Post by Metalheart » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:40 am

agreed no one cares about your review you keep rehashing, it sucks & your a knob... buh bye!
You're one light slowly fading in my mind

samstone

Post by samstone » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:03 am

retlivdead wrote:I remember Evan being really chatty at the Oxford Street HMV gig (the one where it was meant to be a couple of songs and a signing session but he ended up just playing for over an hour!)

And he was on good spirits on the Baby I'm Bored tour. Is that irony?!
Yeah I was there for that one. I remember the cues of people lined up amongst the cd stands. Evan came on wearing big shades and a beanie which he discarded like a disguise half way through the Great big no.

If your talking about chatty - did anyone catch him at the ULU gig in 2001? Marrianne Faithfull joined him for a duet of Backstreet girl. He was sitting on the stage smoking cigarettes and telling jokes.
I'm a lemonhead, you're a lemonhead - we're all lemonheads

Yo la Pedro

Post by Yo la Pedro » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:43 pm

MAXIERILEY wrote:Pedro your aggravating. Go away
Metalheart wrote:agreed no one cares about your review you keep rehashing, it sucks & your a knob... buh bye!
That's a bit rude ain't it kiddies ? It was just a bit of light hearted banter ok.

Now if you don't want to know, don't read the thread you couple of simpletons :lol:

Metalheart

Post by Metalheart » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:17 pm

Awww cmon it was just a little jab back at ya fella, since you like to chat so much & you were so honest,... I thought I would do the same for you.I dont know maybe go to your 2nd Lemonheads/Evan show & get back to us.Evan cares about his fans for sure...but hes who he is & doesnt try to be something he's not.The main reason he plays music is because its his main passion in life.I dont think he will have to worry about his true fans they know what to expect.I can say after seeing him more times than I can remember most nights hes on & puts alot into his perfomances.I've seen him play to an empty room for 2 hrs like he was playing to a packed house & give some of the most heartfelt performances, what else is needed other than a thank you to the crowd.We all as human beings have are good days & bad, you say I'm being rude,... glad you noticed,... but you made plenty of rude comments,so just speaking my mind as well.I personally enjoy seeing his acoustic solo shows the best,... but thats just what I prefer & what he seems more at ease with.
Last edited by Metalheart on Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're one light slowly fading in my mind

Boro Oop North

Post by Boro Oop North » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:26 pm

Don't worry Pedro. Evan provokes very strong reactions in people - and being negative about him in anyway isn't received well.

I've had a few days to think now, and I feel a bit short-changed. I don't buy the "artist" line as it's been a long time since Evan was an "artist" (his last 3 outputs have been a Greatest Hits, a Covers album, and what amounts to a demo album).

I don't have an issue with his lack of chat. I have an issue that he didn't seem to give a flying *&^&. He was going through the motions.

And perhaps that is a result of having played the same album over the last 40 nights.

But, he set the agenda. Someone mentioned a while ago that perhaps he needs the cash - which I guess is why he's touring his most successful album.

Sorry fella, if you want people to part with their hard earned you need to give them something extra. If you're an artist, give us some creativity. It may as well have been a covers band.

Yo la Pedro

Post by Yo la Pedro » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:17 pm

Metalheart

There's no umbrage from me, I'm not here to ruffle feathers.
I'll happily admit I'm a mere casual fan so perhaps I'm going to have a slightly different opinion to the aficionados here. Anyway I say take the rough with the smooth, it all adds to the diversity of the forum. It be dull if everyone agreed I suppose!
I'll take your advice on board about seeing him again, the idea of an acoustic set certainly appeals more to me – However being brutally honest now it'll have to be something fresh / Or it's a less intensive tour before I consider that, cheers all the same though :D :cool:

Boro Opp North

In your few posts you've managed to entirely hit the nail on the head with the point I was stumbling round carelessly to make (via gawd knows how many posts) Cheers pal :lol: :cool:

Smudge
Contributor 2007
Contributor 2007

Post by Smudge » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:31 pm

Everybodies entitled to their opinion's, but please stop abusing each other or this thread will be locked .

Cheers Stew
"No Bad Dream Fuckers Gonna Boss Me Around" - Elliott Smith