Hooking up with Tom Morgan again??

General discussion of all things Evan-y

Moderators: mallocup, Smudge, lutewhine

lekkas98

Hooking up with Tom Morgan again??

Post by lekkas98 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:53 am

Quote from a recent interview with Tom Morgan (promoting 20 years since the release of Smudge's brilliant Manilow album!!)

Looking forwards, Morgan has obviously been busy preparing this ongoing party for Manilow, but has he found the time to write much of late?

“Not really,” he admits. “I might be hooking up with Evan soon to help him out with some songs for his next record. I’ll probably go over to LA to do it, just for a few days, but it’s not confirmed yet – we’ll see. There’s nothing else in the pipeline – we’ll probably get around to doing another Smudge record, but we’ve been saying that for a while now.”

would be great to see if the magic's still there...!

MAXIERILEY

Re: Hooking up with Tom Morgan again??

Post by MAXIERILEY » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:16 am

Nice

rwcass
Contributor 2010
Contributor 2010

Post by rwcass » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:38 pm

Their collaborations have always been worth hearing. I hope they're able to get together and write in L.A.

sparkyhorse
Contributor 2007/08
Contributor 2007/08

Post by sparkyhorse » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:50 pm

new smudge record, please please please
I'm the Dude, so that's what you call me

Irrelevant Elephant

Post by Irrelevant Elephant » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:07 am

Personally Id be more interested in a new Lemonheads record but beggars can't be choosers :)

sparkyhorse
Contributor 2007/08
Contributor 2007/08

Post by sparkyhorse » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:15 pm

on the basis that it's been about 16 years since the last 'new' smudge record and 'only' 5 years since the last Lemonheads one i feel we are more overdue something from Tom's band!

badbum61
Location: currently residing in the "where are they now?" file

Post by badbum61 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:14 am

Can confirm that this actually happened before they left for the current Asia/Oz jaunt. Looking forward to hearing the results.
mommy, what's a lemonhead?

lekkas98

Post by lekkas98 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:31 am

[url]http://themusic.com.au/interviews/all/2014/12/05/a-hit-of-heroin-left-evan-dando-face-down-on-a-plate-in-a-restaurant/[/url]

Read an interview in Australian street press this week and Evan says he and Tom have written seven songs together so far.

Can't wait to see them in Melbourne this week too!!!

Irrelevant Elephant

Post by Irrelevant Elephant » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:31 am

IMO Evan sounds like a massive dickhead in that interview. Read all of his interviews over the past 20 years. Drugs are good. Drugs are bad. Drugs are good. Drugs are bad. Im a junkie. Im not a junkie. Fuck me.

ROTHRADIO

Post by ROTHRADIO » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:08 pm

irrelevant elephant - in september you posted ' i was considering gifting him a vaporizer and a nice bag of dank buds but i don't have any idea if that is his thing these days. it must be such a tired cliche for ev to be offered drugs wherever he goes but..." so you expressed mixed feelings about [enabling] his drug use. in turn , ev has expressed the very same mixed feelings about his drug use. how his essentially agreeing with you makes him a 'massive dickhead' escapes me. more importantly , if you are in australia , please go to every show and report back with setlist and pix. best- J.

Irrelevant Elephant

Post by Irrelevant Elephant » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:38 am

Rothradio - In my defense I did come back to edit my post and found I could not. I wanted to tone it down a bit. Yes I did say that about cannabis. I am just very tired of reading this kind of interview from Evan. It would be great if he could talk about music.

sparkyhorse
Contributor 2007/08
Contributor 2007/08

Post by sparkyhorse » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:47 pm

7 songs. that's the most creative output from either of them in a long time. expectations are high :cool:

suzy
Contributor 2007
Contributor 2007

Post by suzy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:39 pm

I had a long talk with him on Tues. after the Melbourne show.8 am my time. Sounds so enthusiastic about the Asian tour and "coming home" to Australia. Wonderful conversation.
fan

lekkas98

Post by lekkas98 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:39 pm

I went to the 2nd Melbourne show on Wednesday night and they were GREAT!!! After catching 3 or 4 Evan solo tours, this was actually my first time seeing 'The Lemonheads' - and man, they're playing so well at the moment - the whole band is really tight. Especially impressed with the drummer (Todd Phillips I think??). Evan's voice is just as amazing as always - to my ears, he started a little guarded, but got stronger and stronger as the show went on. They started with Evan playing Being Around on acoustic with Courtney Barnett dueting - was a really sweet start, Evan almost forgot the words, Courtney was a bit nervous by the look of it, but they sounded great together.

Can't remember the actual setlist order, but they played roughly the following:
Being Around (with Courtney Barnett)
Great Big No
Tenderfoot
Down About It
Hospital
Confetti
Alison's Starting To Happen
Hannah & Gabi
It's A Shame About Ray
Style
Frying Pan (Evan/Chris only)
Hard Drive (Evan/Chris only)
All My Life (Evan/Chris only)
Favorite T (Evan/Chris only)
The Outdoor Type (Evan/Chris only)
New Mexico
My Drug Buddy
If I Could Talk I'd Tell You
Dawn Can't Decide
Stove
It's About Time
Rudderless

Into Your Arms (Evan acoustic)

Those are definitely not in order, and I may have forgotten one or 2, but anyway, it's roughly what I can remember.

Crowd were a little subdued, but got into it on the final few songs, esp Rudderless. Into Your Arms to finish was great, just Evan on acoustic, starting to sound a bit tired, but that just added to the dishevelled beauty of it all.

Wish I could've seen them more than once on this tour - especially at Meredith Festival this weekend, where I've always thought they'd go down brilliantly (even though Sunday afternoon isn't the best time slot for them).

Would appreciate any other reports from the Aus tour if anyone else has been...

mekons63

Post by mekons63 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:43 am

Good to hear Suzy! I know of all the great pics posted on various social media sites my favorite was from the first Melbourne show with Evan holding his acoustic guitar and a big grin on his face. If he's happy I'm sure the songs will pour forth eventually.

Thanks for the show report. Wish I'd been a little better with details on the US shows I caught but suffice to say the were a blast if a bit frustrating due to the truncated sets. I'm really looking forward to catching a couple of his solo shows here before he jets back across the ocean. Hope he's enjoying all this activity as much as those of us who are lucky enough to catch a show or two.

lemonhead1961
Contributor 2007/08
Contributor 2007/08

Post by lemonhead1961 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:27 am

Great to hear that Evan and Tom did actually get together and produce something - I can't understand why Tom is also so seemingly unproductive or disinterested in doing much these days. Most of what was on Orange Syringe was given away as demos years before and a few good songs were left out. Middle age just seems to have taken the sap out of these guys.

suzy
Contributor 2007
Contributor 2007

Post by suzy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:42 pm

I don't think it is middle age as he does very grueling tours most of the days of the year.That takes a lot out of the youngest people. Tom has just had a baby and is very busy with his life in Australia. Wondering whatit is that you do?
fan

lemonhead1961
Contributor 2007/08
Contributor 2007/08

Post by lemonhead1961 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:40 pm

Do? Do! That's a weird question given the context. I swim - length after length, freestyle - 3 times a week. I used to run - miles and miles - for a decade or two, now - I just swim, and ride a bike - hours in the saddle and when I'm not doing that I'm doing the monitors for Enya.

mekons63

Post by mekons63 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:30 pm

I'm sure more than age it's the fact that the music industry as they knew it no longer exists and finding a way to be creative and make a profit seems to be a lot more complicated and time consuming than most of us imagine.

Add to that the way the lions share of aging fans, not including those few who care enough to post on a message board but most of the paying public, want to hear what they heard as youngsters. Evan couldn't possibly see the world the way he did in his twenties and can't be expected to write that way but that's what a lot of people want to hear -- something familiar that reminds them of when their life wasn't so complicated.

I wish he'd get some new material as much for the confidence it would probably give him to keep at it than for the thrill of hearing a fresh release. Hell, too many good ones have given up or gone away and I'd like to see him stay around for a while for my own selfish reasons!

suzy
Contributor 2007
Contributor 2007

Post by suzy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:18 pm

Such a thoughtful and perceptive comment, Mekons63
fan

Ambidextrina
Jello Funder 2009-2012

Post by Ambidextrina » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:34 pm

I'd be more than glad to participate in a crowd funding action for the next release.

lemonhead1961
Contributor 2007/08
Contributor 2007/08

Post by lemonhead1961 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:53 pm

Ambi-D - agreed - I bought into all the projects that Juliana and Ben Lee did on Pledge Music - some of Ben's were not that good imho but Jules is still knocking out some good & great songs. The crowd funding route works for me - I'll keep supporting Jules as long as she wants to keep going.

Mekon - I'll agree with your sentiments in para 1 and 3 but personally I'm really not hankering after material reminiscent of his old songs - I'm happy for him to move on in whatever direction he wants to go - I've got faith that whatever he (and his co-writers) decide to turn out it will still have that cool slacker vibe, great lyrics and great great vocals.